Monday, May 3, 2010

Urban Garden

We are slowly moving into our new apartment. This week we are painting, cleaning and getting our garden ready. Yes, finally, we have a bit of earth (albeit contained within planter boxes) to call our own here in NYC. Our new apartment has a large balcony with a fantastic view of the East River and the Manhattan skyline. This balcony is large enough to hold our mini-garden, and still leave space for us to hang out during the warm summer months. We are incredibly excited about it.
We started our plants from seeds back in April, and just transplanted them to their new home out on the deck last week. The girls are excited to try out their green thumbs.

Here they are before they were transplanted. If everyone cooperates we will have Heirloom Tomatoes (Brandywine), Eva Tomatoes (had to buy those seeds just because of the name:), yellow grape tomatoes, peas, cilantro, dill, sage, chives, mint, rosemary, thyme, and basil.
My cilantro and dill have never turned out, even when we had a suburban life. I can't figure out how to keep them from going straight to seed. If you have some helpful hints, I would love to hear them before my dill becomes a five foot flower tower like last time :).
The girls also planted a fairy garden. They are 100% into fairies right now, and very excited about the idea of fairies coming to visit their balcony garden. Pictures to come of that craziness shortly.

10 comments:

Pierina said...

Sister Chenn, I love looking at your pictures and seeing how your kids grow! I miss you guys and I hope everything is going well!!! :)

Pierina

Kage said...

I'm pretty jealous of the urban garden. How can I help you with this venture of moving? and if you ever have too much produce, just let me know ; )

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I am so happy you can do planter boxes now! That balcony view sure looks familiar! Glad you were able to stay in the building.

Rachel said...

Ella is completely into fairies right now too. We went to "fairyland" yesterday and today. We should come visit.

Love the urban garden. Impressive. Wish we had that view. Good luck with the dill.

Leasha said...

best of luck to you on the garden. i have been trying to deal with these annoying white flies and other pests for the past 6 months! tried all sorts of stuff. now my basil is ok, but i think they killed my tomato plant :( it only got one tomato out before kai picked it and it all seems downhill from here!

let me know if you find anything super easy - i think i could manage that in our garden :)

Rachel said...

ps Did I mention how great your urban garden tags are?

Goates said...

Love the garden. Let me know if you find the answer about the cilantro. Ours got huge - but we never knew when to cut it.

Lise said...

I would love to see some pictures of the fairy garden's my girls are so into that right now. I don't really know where to start but I know that they would love to plant one.

The Qian Family said...

Annabelle is very into fairies too, and we are just starting to figure out the whole garden idea. We have a small yard and we'd like to plant a couple of easy things. Do you recommend we try growing tomatoes? Love seeing your family's adventures!

Doreen said...

They're gathering PINECONES in that new header pic, right?? Had to do a double take on that one.

On a completely different note...

Maybe someday I'll own some land like yours. You make tub gardening look so fun.