Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Owen Gone......


He looks harmless, I know. This little guy almost gave me a heart attack yesterday. I took Owen to the garbage chute with me this afternoon. The garbage chute is in the hallway- just two doors down from our apartment. It is inside of little room that holds little recycling bins. I do not usually let Owen in the actual garbage room with me, because I know that he would immediately be drawn to everyone's discarded plastic bottles sitting right at perfect toddler eye-level. So, usually I let him play in the hall. That may sound irresponsible of me, but the whole throw-my-garbage-down-the-chute experience lasts all of 15 seconds. At most. Usually, as I exit the garbage room, he can be found running gleefully over to the large hallway window, beating it as hard as he can, and yelling to the people on the street below.

Not today. Today I left the garbage room to find silence. No high pitched squeals, no little pounding fists- just eerie silence. Where did my little Owen go in these 15 seconds?
Mother-panic kicked in. I knew immediately that my little guy was on an elevator to somewhere in the building. Why doesn't the elevator ever come that fast when I push the button? Embarrassment also kicked in. My child is in a onesie, with no shoes on- somewhere in this building. Oh goodness, where is he?

I ran down the stairs to the lobby. No one had seen him. Then I ran back up the stairs, and started to strategize with Maddy and Eva (who were in the lobby coming home from school when I arrived down there in a panic). Maddy was instructed to go to the 3rd and 4th floor, Eva to the 5th and 6th. Directions: hunt for Owen and report back to the lobby. I was hoping his little fingers could not reach higher than the 6th floor button. I headed back down the Lobby. Our lobby has movement sensitive front doors, and Owen is quite aware of this feature.
In my minds eye I imagined him running out of the elevator, out the sliding doors, and onto the streets of NYC. His dream.....my nightmare. Luckily when I arrived at the lobby the second time, David, the concierge-had Owen in his arms. My blood pressure fell about 90 points and I finally started to breathe again.

My little nugget started crying when I tried to peel him out of David's arms. They will not be nominating me for the "Mother of the Year" award anytime soon. First I lose my kid, then my lost child would rather have a stranger than his own mother. Nice.

So up to our apartment we go- it was time to make dinner. About 2 hours later, the doorbell rings. It was the Fresh Direct guy. I had a much needed grocery delivery scheduled. The door opens and the delivery man (who we know well now) exclaims, "oh there she is!" (apparently Owen's hair is getting too long:) "I found her on the 6th floor today when I was delivering groceries, and I knew she didn't belong there, so I brought her downstairs to the lobby."
So, that was the rest of the story. Apparently my little escape artist pushed the 6th floor button and was hanging out up there until Mr. Fresh Direct found him wandering around, and brought him to the lobby. Thank goodness for nice grocery delivery men. One more reason why I love Fresh Direct.

17 comments:

Julie Sainsbury said...

haha oh theresa that is awesome! btw...owen doesnt look anything like a girl, i LoVe the longer hair look.

Elise said...

Ohmygoodness, Theresa, I would have been in such a panic. That must have been so frightening! I'm glad you were able to get the rest of the story. It's so funny! (In retrospect, of course.)

Justina Selim said...

Oh how scary for you! I can't imagine! So glad you found him!

Rachel said...

Way to go Johnny.

Theresa said...

Oh yes, that was his name. Johnny. Thanks Rachel. Why can't I remember his name? He has been our Fresh Direct Guy for like a year now.

Brianna said...

Theresa,

I am glad to have found you guys! Hope everything is going well for you and the family. I am glad Owen didn't escape too far, the thought of him on the streets, oh wow, what an adventure.

The Goodwin's said...

Do not feel to bad it happens to us all. Just wait until he is three and then four. Boys like to play hide and seek from their mothers.

David and Rachel said...

Oh my word Theresa! Your adventures in NYC never cease to amaze me! I honestly don't think that I could ever make it in NYC or any other large city for that matter, but I sure do love reading about your life there! You are such a great story teller by the way.

Lizzie said...

This story is so hilarious! That cute little Owen has a mind of his own! Hurray for Fresh Direct, huh?!

Sara said...

Oh how scary! I am so glad you have an awesome grocery delivery man!!

Anonymous said...

Two thoughts I have done that before too. Thankfully when Jack tried to enter the elevator it was occupied by someone who held him at bay saying "Noooooo where is your mom?" as I came runnning. Yep happened a couple times now.
Also, I answered a knock at our door the other day- it was Jack! Glad we decided to come back :)
I am so glad Johnny (the FD man) found him. He is the greatest!

Maria Petrova said...

PRICELESS!!!!!

Alissa said...

This exact same thing happened to Addie when we first moved here almost a year ago. I was in a panic!! Thankfully, she went down to the lobby and the doorman knew her and brought her back to me. Definitely one of the scariest things that has ever happened in our family!

P.S. Owen looks nothing like a girl. Unfortunately, Wesley gets those same comments all the time too. I still am refusing to cut his hair!!

Anonymous said...

I was going to call you the other day to see if Owen is giving you the same ...grief...Hunter is giving us. I'm hoping Hunter's throw-everything-at-anybody stage is normal. Oh, and do you guys have a time out?? hahaha. We are wondering if Hunter is even understanding why we put him in the bumbo seat in the corner after hitting/throwing, etc. Your story reminded me of yesterday when Matt and I were hanging something on the wall while Hunter was just running around. After about a minute of not seeing Hunter but hearing his voice echoing somewhere we checked the whole apartment and he wasn't there. The last place we thought of where is voice could possibly be echoing was outside in our apartment's hallway! Yeah, Hunter is opening our front door and just letting himself out. We have elevators too but luckily there are only three floors he could manage to lose himself on. Matt found him sitting in the lounge (which, btw is WAY down the hall) laughing and laughing because he experienced freedom for a full minute...little stinker.

jon said...

When I first started reading, I was sure Owen had managed to hurl himself down the garbage chute. I'm not sure which would be worse...

ZAC said...

Hilarious Theresa! reading your post makes any mother's blood pressure rise. What a funny little man :)

Dinah said...

I can't wait to meet Owen! What a hoot!