
Grandma Chenn and Marc's brother Andrew were in town this past week, and we decided to check out our first Broadway show as an entire family. We have not been brave enough to bring Owen in the past- so now that he is so old and mature (21 months), we decided to give it a go.
We chose Mary Poppins, and had a great time. The production did not begin until 8:00 pm, so I spent an entire week slowly getting everyone's bedtime pushed back so they could handle being up until the curtain fell at 10:45 pm. Owen did surprisingly well- with the exception of the one time Marc had to take him out in the hall to let him run off some energy in the second half.
This production was a lot of fun for the girls to watch, "step in time" was our favorite scene- the girls loved the man who danced on the ceiling. They also loved watching Mary Poppins "fly" above the audience.
I did have a beef with one part of the production. I wasn't too keen on the naked sculptures in the park that suddenly come to life (obviously not in the original Disney movie:). My girls (or any child for that matter) don't need to see a man dancing around with just a fig-leaf for covering. Okay, so he had a skin-tight leotard on too- that left nothing to the imagination.
I will say, with every Disney Broadway production I have seen- there has been something absolutely unnecessary included. Why?? Am I a prude?
Anyway, overall, a good experience. The kids loved it, and Owen fell asleep within seconds of hitting his stroller. The girls fell asleep shortly thereafter in the subway car home- and were delighted to have Grandma Chenn along for the ride to snuggle up to.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Mary Poppins
Posted by Theresa at 7:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We loved this show - it was so magical! Too true about the sculptures, however.
fun! i wanted to see this with my girls!! i hate how they always have one scene that you could do without! it seems like every broadway show has something. i haven't heard anything bad about "the little mermaid" yet though.....
Ugh I call it gratuitous entertainment- stuff that they add in for just a little appeal. I hate it- you are watching a perfectly great movie and Whoa! What happened? Why was THAT in there? Then I can't recommend the movie to anyone. My question- who in the world were they trying to "appeal" to in a show like Mary Poppins?
It sounds like a fabulous show to see with the family...all except for the nude sculptures. I'm sure Ryan would start talking about male/female body parts very loudly were she to see such a display.
Post a Comment