Sunday, October 12, 2008

Eva is 5

September is Party Month for us. First, Owen has a birthday on the 19th, and then Eva's is on the 24th. To add to the excitement we also have cousins and Aunts born in this month.


Oh, my Eva. She is one bundle of energy and spunky-ness. She loves the fact that she is getting older. She didn't like it when I told her that I am going to make her stay "4" forever (I think she really believes that I have this power:).
She is one talented girl. From the day she witnessed her older sister begin to read, she became determined to do the same. She will not be out-shined. Now she is reading everything. Everything. Which can be scary at times- like when we are in Chelsea and Times Square where the reading material can be less than desirable. She is quite proud of this accomplishment, and relishes in it. She is always my last child asleep- usually found in bed with her favorite fleece blanket, a pile of books around her, and one propped up being read intently.

Eva is my free spirit. She wants to wear her own fashion. I pick my battles with Eva, and this is one she usually wins. She has clothes that are her favorites. As soon as they are washed and in her drawer, I know with certainty that she will be wearing them tomorrow. Mostly, she is a creature of comfort, but she also likes wearing the entire color spectrum- which makes for some very interesting ensembles.


Eva told me a few months ago that for her 5-year-old birthday she wanted to have a space party. Space party.....I didn't quite know how I was going to pull this off. We invited 3 friends, cut some stars and planets out to hang from the lights, decorated the house with the "solar system" on blank newsprint sheets, and organized some alien games. Eva loved decorating, and having her friends over.

Eva wanted a rocket ship cake.....here it is.

Here is Eva in the middle of present opening. She didn't say a word about the fact that mom wrapped all of her presents in Christmas wrapping paper (all we had left) for this, I was thankful :)
Eva received a hand-crafted quilt from her Grandma Chenn which she LOVES. That was a definite highlight of the birthday.



Other present of note: her space suit. The helmet even plays a "countdown" when you push the button. She is in heaven, and has worn this on an almost daily basis since. I had to snap a picture of her one day when she was working on her homework decked out in full space gear.
She has informed me that when she grows up she either wants to be an astronaut, or a shop-keeper. I do not know where she got the shop-keeper idea from.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cake is soo soo cute. I love the rocket ship flames out the back end! What a fun party and gorgeous pics of little Eva.

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

Theresa -

There is a woman in my ward in DC who works for NASA. She's actually my visiting teacher. Could I make an introduction? Would Eva be interested in learning more about what my friend does?

I loved this post. It sounds like it was a great birthday!

Miss you,
Mary

Marla said...

LOVE IT. My G turned 6 last week and I could almost mirror your post (I should because I haven't done mine yet...) :) They seem so similar!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Eva!! The space party looks pretty impressive. Way to go on the cake.

Maria Petrova said...

chenn family = rocket family. i love you guys so much!

AlexisTexas said...

she is absolutely gorgeous. and you are so creative! looks like fun! the space outfit is so rad.

Lizzie said...

That picture of her doing her homework in her space gear is awesome.

Justina Selim said...

What a fun girl! I love that first pic of her! You did great on her cake!

Brianna said...

I can't believe Eva is Five!! Wow, how fun. Time has flew by since we were all at Wymount. Hope everything is going good for you, Marc and the Kids!

Dinah said...

Cute little Eva! Where did you get the space suit? What a great dress up! We are always on the hunt for some good ones.

The Qian Family said...

What a wonderful post and tribute to your sweet daughter. Happy birthday Eva! She sounds like a great girl.

julia said...

i love the pic of her doing homework w/that helmet - she is such a cute girl.

happy birthday!!

julia said...

i love the pic of her doing homework w/that helmet - she is such a cute girl.

happy birthday!!