Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Governors Island

We had heard wonderful things about Governors Island and decided that we would try and experience it for ourselves. A fun ferry ride for our kids (and free!). The girls wore their bike helmets on the subway ride and on the ferry- can you tell they are excited about riding bikes??



Owen liked it too. He especially loved having Dad along for the ride. Things have been a little stressful at work lately for Marc (thank you crazy stock market) so we hadn't been seeing him as much as we would like. Owen would not let daddy out of his sight.
There is an interesting art exhibit going on in Manhattan featuring several man made waterfalls. This is one that is positioned on the shore of Governor's Island. Owen enjoyed the nice sea spray coming off of the fall as we docked.

You can rent bikes on the Island for a great deal- and they are even free on Fridays. The bikes were a little too big for Eva, so she ended up riding in the bike carriage for most of the time, but then became determined half-way through the adventure that she would ride a bike as well, even if it was a size to big (you can see her in action in the video below). Also, note in the video below how great the views of Manhattan are. You can see downtown Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island quite well. I LOVE that there are no cars are on this island (except for service vehicles and tour carts) - which makes for a very peaceful bike ride for us parents. I also love hearing about the history of this island, and seeing the beautiful colonial architecture.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun! I had no idea you could rent bikes there.

ZAC said...

I'm going to this island next time were in town. I can't understand how I've missed it in the time I've frequented NY. And there will be no settling of accounts either. We are even!
I also love the post on Eva and her birthday party. Maybe 2nd children are the free-spirits in the group! Space birthday party----COOL.

Cindy Call said...

Are those my bike helmets! ....they look like my bike helmet....

Rachel said...

Looks like a lot of fun. We especially enjoy the action video.