Friday, December 5, 2008

A Day at the Museum

This past Saturday we decided to take advantage of a world-class museum that is less than two miles from our home. We have only been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art once before as an entire family. I decided it was high time for a second visit. We focused mostly on the Greek/Roman and Egyptian exhibits on this trip.
Eva was mesmerized by all of the unclothed statues. "Mom, I see bums," was her most quoted line- accompanied by a giggle.
Madeline was fascinated by the Egyptian collection. She didn't want to leave when it became clear that Owen was done. Every couple of feet she would ask "Mom, what does this Hieroglyph mean?" I had to laugh. "Um, you know.... I don't know that one." She made me promise that next time we would get headphones like everyone else had. She was sure that the headphones would interpret the Hieroglyphs for you. If you go to the Metropolitan anytime soon, make sure not to miss the Temple of Dendur (pictured behind Madeline). This Egyptian Temple actually once stood in Egypt- and was taken apart stone by stone in the 1960's and relocated to the US. It has been rebuilt and was added to the Metropolitan collection in 1978.
Owen liked watching Dad chase him around the museum. He pretty much wanted to touch everything in sight. He made the security guards' jobs just a little more exciting on this Saturday.

2 comments:

Marla said...

I love Eva. I want to meet Eva and turn her loose with Grace. Maybe that is a bad idea, but if I had a quarter for everytime Gracee mentioned "bums"...well...

Maria Petrova said...

i love eva and i love maddy and i love owen and i love theresa and i love marc (in an appropriate way).