Saturday, February 21, 2009

Good Reads





These have both been on my "to read" list for a while. It took a long bout with the flu to finally get through them. Both were fantastic reads by Michael Pollan. These are not diet books, and no- the author will not try to convert you to Vegetarianism.

Much of what is discussed and presented corresponded with the feelings I had while studying nutrition as an undergrad. I graduated a little disenchanted with the food guide pyramid, and the FDA, and the government's hand in our food supply. Read these if you want to know why (or get ready for a really long conversation with me :) Additionally, much of what is discussed coincides with how I look at food from a religious perspective. As said on the cover of the second book, "eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Start with Omnivore's Dilemma, and stay with it. He can be a little meandering at times, but he does fully make his point after 400+ pages :). Finish it off with In Defense of Food. I can't promise you will change the way you eat (although I would be surprised if you didn't) but I can promise that you will understand why some people choose to eat differently.

Why do some people spend so much money on Organic/Local/Grass-Fed/Free-Range food? Aren't they a bunch of environmental loonies?? I mean c'mon it is just food.

Read the books, and you decide.

9 comments:

The Qian Family said...

I've heard of both of them, but haven't ordered them from amazon yet. I definitely plan to read them---maybe they will help me in my quest for better health and nutrition. We have a friend in common. Leslie Aufderheide is in our Guangzhou branch--I guess you know that now, but she mentioned today that you two had been roomates at BYU. Small world!

Anonymous said...

I am loving the Omnivore's Dilemma now. Really re-emphasizes the gospel standards of moderation (not too much meat), eating food in season, and self reliance (control what you intake by growing your own food or making educated choices about what you buy). Not a vegan now but, really watching the processed food intake and never gonna eat fast food again that's for sure!

Lizzie said...

I read the Omnivore's Dilemma -- I did like it, but it was too detailed for me. I didn't eat meat for about two months because I was so grossed out, then my body started craving it again. But it really made me think about the phrase "eat meat sparingly." I love Pollan's quote "eat food, not too much, mostly plants." I still need to read "In Defense of Food". Thanks for your book review!

ZAC said...

I need to read this book. I was contemplating War and Peace by Tolstoy but I will gladly put it to the side to look at these books (thanks for the save!).

Dinah said...

Interesting. Never heard of either book, but healthy eating is a constant discussion in our home. Have you read Eat, Drink and be Healthy? We loved some of the ideas and studies in this book especially as it pertained to the food pyramid. Thanks for the suggestion!

ChrisnDave said...

Hey Chenns! I got your blog link from the Aidas. So glad to see you're thriving there in the Big Apple - we're just 4hrs away, down in DC - maybe we can come meet up with you guys there some day!
The kiddos are beautiful (and talented!!!). I'm so excited to see that Mark picked an awesome wife who feeds her family super healthy food and is homeschooling! My little guy is only 15 months but we're definitely planning on homeschooling (or "unschooling") so I'd love to hear all about your experience with it!

Maria Petrova said...

No dilemma why I love you so much. You are so thoughtful! Like you I believe in local, organic, mostly vegetarian, and the more people who adopt our point of view, the cheaper & more available these healthy foods will be. Cheers!

Elise said...

I loved Omnivore's Dilemma. I thought the sustainable farm model was fascinating.

Jamie and Erin said...

Tell me more about your perpective on organic food. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts!