Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hard at play

On one especially messy kitchen day, I left a math lesson with the girls to find Owen hard at work. He had discovered my soaking dishes and was quite excited about this find. I stood in the doorway and watched while he-unaware of my presence- splashed gleefully in his aquatic wonderland. I am constantly amazed by the way he plays. He is so different from my girls. I know, I shouldn't be that shocked by gender differences, but still, continually I am.

When he plays, I hear a lot of "vrrrrrrooooomm.......bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrr.........pprrrrrrrrwwwwchhh" (explosion sound :). I would love to know what is going on in that little mind of his as he dumps and pours.

After he pulled my vegetable colander out of the suds and placed it on his head, I knew it was time to get a shot of this moment. It was just getting too cute. As soon as my shutter clicked Owen climbed down from the chair, pulled off the "helmet" and shot me a glance which let me know he was slightly humiliated that I had been privy to his imaginations.

All too often my quest for a picture seems to ruin "the moment."

But, these are moments I don't want to forget.

2 comments:

Justin + kelly said...

That picture is priceless! Too bad it ruined the moment! That would have been a great little series. I love the "helmet"

Doreen said...

That is awesome!! Owen is such a stud! I heard about his dancing that got the police to knock on your door! :)