This is Owen's favorite past time activity lately. He could spend the whole afternoon in the sandbox near our house. Digging, pouring and dumping....over and over again.
He is a very busy boy, so it is great to have found this outlet for him.
He has started to say "It's not fair!" when he feels injustice has been served. It made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it. Hmmmm....I wonder where he learned that line from?
I heard this new phrase repeated over and over after his run-in with a four-year-old boy in the park sandbox. Owen was flinging sand, and getting comments from Mom to stop. So, a boy in the sandbox decided to help discipline this "naughty boy" and walked up to Owen and threw sand right in his eyes.
Point blank.
Owen's face was a sweaty and covered with sunscreen so the sand stuck instantly- and was almost impossible to wipe off. His eye lashes were completely coated. He screamed for about 30 minutes straight, as I tried to irrigate his eyes and get the sand out. It was a pretty traumatizing time for both he and I. The dad of the boy was completely humiliated and left pretty quickly after apologizing. I felt bad- there wasn't really anything he could do, and the boy was really too young to fully understand what he had done.
After the 30 minutes of screaming Owen finally started saying, "all done mom, much better!" between sobs. So, I took that at face value and let him get up to play, feeling pretty confident that the sand was all out after my cleaning efforts.
The next morning though, the sides of his eyes were filled with sandy goo. Another screaming fest began as I tried to clean it out. The whole experience made me ill. I am trying not to think about all the strange eye diseases he could have picked up from this sand encounter :)
I guess he has not been too traumatized by it though....this morning he stared begging for "sandbox mommy..... sandcastle!"
Maybe we will get some safety googles.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Mr. Sand Man
Posted by Theresa at 7:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
oh theresa, what a shock this must have been, and a fight indeed. toddlers don't get the idea of helpful intervention, do they :) and my first thought was, he is so big! look at those cheeks!!! pictures somehow show growth more poignantly than real life does. (hmm this may be why i always feel older in pics.) so good to hear he wanted to go right back! maybe you'll let me take him there one day but with first-aid training beforehand.
OH Teres, that sounds AWFUL. for you both - I hope his eyes are OK. I have to say I'm so impressed by your reaction to the boy and his dad - I would've been out for blood. But that's just me. :)
Mar- I have to say that parenting Owen has changed my gut reaction in situations like these. Probably because he is usually the instigator of such rascally tactics....I feel bad for the other parent, because I know exactly how the parent feels...."I can't believe my child just did that!"
Oh boy. Hunter loves the sand at our playground too. I have to keep a close eye on Hunter though because he likes to make it rain sand. He hasn't thrown it right at anyone, yet. Poor Owie!
So I just realized something. There is this little kid in my preschool class that looks EXACTLY like Owen. I knew that I was favoring him more than the others, but I just didn't know why. Now I do. I'll make sure to keep him away from the sandbox tomorrow--just in case he has the same luck as Owen.
Oh no. So sorry. Did I miss this in our phone conversation? I swear you didn't mention it. How awful.
On a brighter side, Ella is really into sandcastles too. Again they must be on the same wave length. We went to the beach on Saturday and the sandcastle was being talked about before we even arrived. If only Owen was around to help her build one. Has Marc fixed your web cam yet?
Post a Comment