I had been hearing almost every day about butterflies that Madeline was raising in her classroom. Every day when she would get home, I would get the daily butterfly update. Her classroom followed these critters from caterpillar, to chrysalis, to official Painted Lady Butterfly. On an afternoon before school let out they decided it was time to set these butterflies free.
Parents were invited to watch the students say their last goodbyes. Madeline let me know several times that she would like to find one of the butterflies after it was released, and take it home as a pet. This year they decided to release the butterflies near the water of the East River. Last year they released them in the school yard, and a flock of pigeons managed to swoop down and gobble them all up in front of the children. Not exactly a science lesson kindergarten children can handle :).
This year, no birds were in sight, and the butterflies successfully flew off into the world on their own.
Here is a butterfly we found hanging out on a rock nearby. Maddy was sure that this was "her" butterfly, and that we needed to bring her home with us. Luckily, I was able to convince her otherwise.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Audrey loved doing this at school too! I bought her some caterpillars for her birthday and we did them at home. I loved doing it! I've never done it myself.
Post a Comment