Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Toothless Wonder


I knew my kids would have funky teeth. It is just a given. I had braces for 6 years. And headgear. It was awesome. But, truly- I was not expecting this surprise. The other day we realized that Maddy was growing her "adult tooth" in front of her baby tooth. Fun, huh? So we called the dentist, scheduled an appointment, and watched the new tooth grow in a little more before the big day came.
She was a little antsy on the day of the extraction, but I knew she would be a trooper. This is, after all, my child that does not cry during immunizations. She managed to handle the extraction just fine. No tears, no whining.....no nitrous oxide either. She didn't even want me in the room- which was really for the better I think :).
Now she has a big gaping hole where the old tooth once was. I am hoping it just goes away eventually, even with no tooth to fill it in. It will be interesting to see what kind of other dental surprises are in store for us down the road....at least for now we can celebrate being cavity-free!!

3 comments:

Elise said...

Oh dear--what a scary picture! She's so brave! I had the same thing happen when I was little, but my parents were less prompt removing the baby tooth. That's a big reason for the braces today. But at least mine are just on for a few months and not years. Oh, Theresa, you poor thing!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for dentists. I would not be able to pull someone's tooth out--I usually get grossed out just by seeing inside of some people's mouths. Even though Maddy's teeth are a little crazy right now, she's bound to be gorgeous when she gets older (and through the braces stage) b/c of her beautiful Mom's genes! :)

Maria Petrova said...

oh my little darling! how brave she is! i love you, maddy!