Here we are, all decked out in our official badges and trading jackets while we wait for the opening bell to ring.
The opening bell was rung by the lead in the Broadway Musical "Legally Blonde." I have not seen it- and do not know who she is- but still managed to be excited. One interesting tidbit: the bell is rung by pressing a button, which then rings the bell. If you look to the right of the girl, you will see a box. Inside the box is the bell. So, in this picture she is pressing the button. After the bell rang we headed down to the trading floor. It was not as chaotic as I had envisioned it to be, but was assured by our guide that this was due to the fact that most transactions are now done electronically, and that the amount of people who actually work on the floor has been decreased from 5000 to about 1500 in the last 8 years. Unfortunately (but understandably) I couldn't take any pictures from the floor.
We also headed over the the charging bull for an anniversary photo op. Another tidbit of info: did you know that this bull statue was installed without permission in front of the NY stock exchange in 1989? The sculptor paid (of his own money) $360,000 to craft this piece. I think NYC must have liked it. It now hangs out a few blocks over near Bowling Green park.


5 comments:
How did you get to tour the stock exchange? I didn't know you could do that! How fun.
Loved seeing pictures of your parents again. It looks like you had a good time!
Impressive...how did you pull that off? One of Marc Chenn's connections?
Sorry to hear about Owen's curls. I'm sure Ella will still love him though :)
I didn't realize you could take a tour of the NYSE. That's great. I'll have to do it when I come next. I hope it's not as tough as getting a tour of the White House - you have to plan months in advance and have a background check and everything!
Awwww... you were in our neighborhood! I wish we'd happened to bump into each other. Dallin loves the bull statue and moos at it every time we pass.
Post a Comment