
We have lived in NYC for more than a year now, and up until 2 weeks ago we have never ventured out to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty up close. Yes, we have taken the Staten Island Ferry, and the Circle Line Ferry ride- both of which have provided us with some pretty spectacular views of Lady Liberty. But, can you call yourself a true New Yorker if you haven't actually paid your dues in line for most of the day, so you can walk through the base of this monument? I think not.
My parents were in town two weeks ago and we made a day of it. Know, that if you plan on seeing the Statue of Liberty, you have to make a DAY of it. All day. Prepare to be wanded, air-puffed, metal detected and to have all of your belongings x-rayed. Twice.
The kids loved the ferry ride over. We rode on the top level out to the island, and it was absolutely perfect weather to be out and about in a boat.
Any of you who may be on the fence trying to decide if you should bring your toddler to the statue with you or not......This is Owen, taking out his line-frustration on the nearby gate. With every hour that passed, he became progressively stronger- after 3 hours his strength reached hulk-status. These metal bars were no match for him.
Sooo happy. This is Owen after we pried him off the bars. Had to include this one because it shows his curls. He just had a dad-mandated hair cut last week. Prompted by one too many public "she is a cutie" compliments in Marc's presence. Curls are gone. Sniff.
Monday, September 1, 2008
Statue of Liberty
Hooray!! Line is over, Lady liberty here we come!!
Inside we found the original torch.
And a replica of the face of Lady Liberty.
We rode the glass elevator to the top of the base for some amazing views.
If you don't ever want to forget your own personal trip to Lady Liberty, make sure you bring a 23 month-old-along. That will sear it in your memory forever.
Posted by Theresa at 6:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey your blog is fabulous! Your day trip sounded like tons of fun... at least for everyone except Owen. I love his curls. I cut Errson's hair too for the same reason. It sounds like life is good for you. Take Care, Kiersta
I just KNOW if I brought Hunter to the statue of liberty he would be just as fun as I can see Owen was! Hunter would most likely be picking up and trying out someone's old gum or finding someone's discarded cigarette butt and seeing what it tastes like (like he did last night, YUCK!). That's SO fun that Mom and Dad came to see you guys! Owen has (or had) cute curls, Hunter's is straight as a board. We miss you guys!
I've totally blog stalked you!! This is Rachel Hicks... I can't belive Owen has blonde hair!! It is adorable! I know you weren't looking forward to moving to New York, but it looks like you are having a lot of fun! Hey, email me your email address to big.raquel@gmail.com so I can add you to the list on our blog (It's private) :)
Just wanted to say hi Theresa! Your Wall Street and Statue of Liberty updates were fun to read. Isn't exploring fun! (Oh, and I've been here nearly 6 years and still haven't braved the Statue of Liberty experience...I've decided I will call myself a New Yorker anyway :) ) Isn't it just so much work? Hahaha. Maybe in the tourist off-season...
Post a Comment