Saturday, May 16, 2009

Botany Class

The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens provide a fabulous classroom for botany class. We have been heading here every couple of weeks to check out the beauty that each season brings. Here is what we found this time:


Bluebells. Lots and lots of bluebells. A whole field carpeting a forest floor, in fact.


I really wanted a back yard today.....and a gardener.

Peonies. I love these. They are in full bloom right now, and there are bushes, and bushes, and bushes of them. I had to take a picture of this one because I have never seen a yellow peony- only white and pink. They are probably quite popular, and it is just my experience that is limited, but while I was taking the picture I was absolutely certain of their rarity.

We found an amazing weeping Beech tree. Amazing. Its branches extended all the way to the ground in all directions. Owen was so excited to finally be in a jungle. "Jungle, mommy, Jungle!" Well, almost.
Not only did this tree have an amazing canopy, it also was very climbable. I am pretty sure this was against the rules.....but hey, those leaves provided ample protection for our covert operation to go undetected from the garden powers that be.

Wisteria....one of the many things I miss about Cincinnati.

A major perk of this trip was realizing how many honeybees hang out at this garden. We never see honeybees in Manhattan. Wasps, yes- we have those- but no honeybees. So, the girls were quite excited to meet a bunch. I am convinced the BBG must keep its own personal hive. Admittedly, I am a bit of a "bee nerd" - my dad was a bee keeper when I was young. Looking for a great book about bees? We are loving this one right now.

5 comments:

Kimber said...

What a fun day! I went for the first time last week and loved it! So beautiful and it smells so good too! It's like an escape from the city!

Maria Petrova said...

oh my goodness theresa, i had no idea it was that glorious out there!!! heaven! i love your understated longing for greenery/wisteria/nature... whenever i'm prone to go "what am i doing here?!" i remember the park and the beautiful gardens.

Lise said...

Wow! the picture of those bluebells was incredible. What a fun place.

Bippert Family said...

Beautiful flowers! I love peonies too. And I don't think I've seen a yellow one before either? I have a couple of them in my back yard (we just bought a house in Seattle) I still don't know what color they are yet!
-Julie

Rachel said...

Did you know that Bluebells are Texas' state flower?