
My kids love the book Thunder Cake. It is about a girl who is afraid of thunderstorms until her grandmother helps her to overcome her fear by baking a Thunder Cake.
At the end of the book there is a recipe for real Thunder Cake. The girls beg me to help them make Thunder Cake every time we read it. Usually, I have a pretty good reply: "We can't make Thunder Cake-there is no thunderstorm!"
Here in NYC we get nary a thunderstorm. Rain? Yes. Whoa, we get a lot. Thunder and lightning? Not really. Sometimes I miss the spectacular storms we experienced during our time in Cincinnati. The mid-west knows how to throw a good storm. Some storms would last for hours, with an unbelievable intensity.
Here, we are lucky to get a few cracks of thunder to accompany a rainfall that can last all day. But the girls still held out hope. They knew their day would come.
Our Thunder Cake day arrived last Friday. I was giving Madeline a piano lesson, and almost jumped out of my seat. The thunder was so loud, and the lightning was so intensely bright that I even hurriedly glanced outside expecting to see a downed tree right outside our building.
"Oh, Oh, Oh Mom! Thunder Cake!!"
Yep, she remembered.
It was 4 o'clock. The kitchen was a mess. Dinner hadn't been even been given a thought.
And yet somehow, I was convinced into making cake.
Luckily, we had all the ingredients on hand- which was pretty miraculous considering this recipe calls for tomatoes (shhh! the secret ingredient!) and strawberries.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Thunder Cake
Of course we had to add candles to the top. Owen was sure it was someone's birthday-when else does mom make cake?
Posted by Theresa at 6:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
you are the best. so lucky to have snatched a piece of this cake. it was gone faster than thunder. the pics are so sweet.
Yes, we had just walked i from outside, sat down and heard that clap of lightening. I thought our building had been hit! The Thunder cake looks beautiful. What lucky kids to have such a creative mom!
What a cool idea. You are such a great mom. I'm so impressed you did something from the back of a book. Was the cake good?
We really like that book too, but I didn't even think about making the cake--because it had tomatoes-- You'll have to let me know if it was any good so we can make it. We get lots of thunderstorms. :)
Lucky kids! I've always wanted to have something special to make every time there is a thunder storm. I haven't come across it yet though...I may have to give this one a try next time!
Marc, I'm so glad you called today. We must stay in touch...
Theresa, you family is so cute. Congrats on running the race as well. Any mileage is respectable in its own right. way to go!
Post a Comment