I finally ran a race here in Manhattan! Now, before you get too impressed, I must disclose that it was only a 5k. I know, I know-I have heard your very impressive half-marathon/marathon stories, and fully embrace that this is very small beans on the distance spectrum.
But, for me it was big. I am not really a runner. I enjoy running. . . for about a mile, and then I feel pain. My knees hurt. My stomach hurts. My lungs hurt. I can feel every step. And, if pain was not enough reason alone to stop, I also had asthma as a kid- so there is a little fear associated with running.But I did it anyway. Ran the whole time....the whole 3.1 miles which I never really do- I like to take walking breaks during my "runs." I made the track star husband of mine real proud. I think I averaged 13 minute miles, so there was definitely a nice grandma jog going on.
If you live in NYC, and aren't really a "runner" I would definitely recommend taking on the Revlon 5k. It helps raise money for cancer prevention/treatment, and it is a beautiful jaunt through Central Park. Also, most of the 40,000 participants walk the entire way-so you feel like a real athlete racing along, leaving those speed walkers in the dust with your 13 minute mile.

8 comments:
Congratulations Theresa! It is good for your children to see you do something athletic for yourself once in awhile.
Theresa, you are such a wonderful person, and such a great writer, and you are so darn funny. I'm so lucky to know you. I love reading whatever you write. So proud of you for doing this run!
Whoop whoop! Way to go, racer Mom!
I actually am quite impressed. Running a 5k is a great accomplishment. Way to go!
WOOHOO! Nice Theresa! I get the same types of feelings when I try running for longer than a mile too. I just don't like it. So-if I ever run something like this it would be a big accomplishment for me too. Way to go!! I'm way proud of you.
Congrats! That is an awesome thing to achieve, especially after 3 kiddos. And to be able to do it in New York, how fun. Way to go!
That is very cool! You sound like an ideal running partner for me :) I still have not done a 5k but I hope to one of these days. Thanks for sharing!!!
Good job!! Isn't it awesome to cross the finish line?? Are you addicted yet? You amaze me by the way. Marc was telling me everything that you are doing with your life and I think you are awesome.
Post a Comment