Owen's vocabulary grows a little every day. Most days, I welcome his new-found communication with open arms. Some days, however, I miss his caveman speak....which he still fully owns, but it is swiftly diminishing.
Today, he sat in a park swing, looking up in the sky at the looming clouds, and with perfect pronunciation exclaimed, "Oh no mom, watch out, a storm is coming!"
The pronunciation was so perfect, in fact, it made me wonder if it was a phrase from Diego. Somehow, Owen master's all phrases Diego. For example, one day he was walking around the house speaking emphatically about "Spectacled Bears." I had no idea where this obscure animal knowledge originated, and it remained a mystery until I overheard his Diego Jungle Adventure movie playing one day.
Wherever it came from, his perfect phrase at the park made me pause and think about the days swiftly passing with my baby. He is turning into a big boy- and fast.
I will miss hearing his little feet pattering down the hall. I will miss his tiny hand in mine. There will come a day when he won't eagerly climb in my lap with his favorite train book. Sometimes his milestones, as exciting as they are, also serve as reminders of chapters closed. Time passed, never to experienced again- only to be remembered.
Just when I am sure my baby is gone--"look mom, I see an oct-A-gon!" I hear one of his little Owenisms. Yep, I still have a two-year-old. Phew.
"Momma, I wanna hold you!" translation: "please pick me up!"
"I'm Scary!" translation: "I'm freaked out!"
"I wann appa juice!" translation: "I want orange juice"
"He's tees'n me!!" translation:"Go away, you pesky sisters!"


4 comments:
Never ceases to amaze me how your children remind me of mine. I've gone through those emotions with Davey through every phase. He's 4 now and I still cuddle him and think, "don't let this phase end..." I'm hoping I feel that way about every phase - and you do too. Can they just keep getting better?
We should think about meeting up this summer. Palmyra??
I love caveman talk. :) It's crazy how fast time goes by when you have kids. Mason is turning one next week--there's no way it's been a whole year! I'm going to have to start teaching Hunter what an octagon is so he can catch up with Owen!
Mark and Teresa, This is Jim, I miss you both, your family is so... awesome. Your kids looked like they walked out of a postcard they are all so beautiful. Miss you tons! JIM
What a sweet little boy you have there! They do grow up waaaay to fast!
Post a Comment